Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Books To Movies

I loved Twilight (the movie)… Good thing I didn’t finish reading the book though, because from what I heard, my friends said the book was soo-OH-OH much better, (which didn’t surprise me at all). Most novel inspired movies usually fall short from the original book. Novels are intended to paint the picture for us, to transport us mentally into the protagonists’ position, and to feel the angst and frustration of the antagonist. Movies on the other hand are visually intended to entertain us, to lay the foundation of the movie, to paint the plot, to come to a climax, and to finally result in an ending, all within 2-3 hours. So in my opinion, novel-inspired movies should be, most of the time, spared from being compared to the actual novel itself.

Good thing most of the books that I have read are not, or have not yet been translated into film. =)

With that, here are the top three books that I DID love (and of course read) that were totally simplified and terribly translated into film.

1. The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown
Unless you’ve been living under a rock or hibernating in a cave for the past 4 years, then you would've probably heard of the Da Vinci code. The book was awesome. I finished the book in two days. I couldn’t put it down. I couldn’t wait what Robert Langdon was going to do next! It was truly a page turner. The movie on the other hand hurried several parts which killed the beauty and laborious details of the book. It was a major let down for me.
I do hope Angels & Demons The Movie makes up for the disaster that was The Da Vinci Code The Movie. I loved Angels & Demons! It was my favorite between the two. I sooo can't wait!!

2. Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
The book was so nice. I read this during 8th grade for Mr. Hughes English class. I'll be honest, I was a bit bored at first, but as soon as the story started to build up, I couldn't stop reading it. It was such an easy read and the plot had me amazed with its vivid descriptions and surprise twists (especially the ending). The movie on the other hand took the basic concept of the book and made it "modernized" (hopefully i'm using the correct word to describe it). I loved Gwyneth Paltrow's character. I loved her there! But the movie as a whole was missing a lot from the book. Was gravely disappointed.

3. The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks
I read this book amidst the mending of a broken heart. It was a beautiful and heart-warming love inspired book that helped me see the bigger picture of the love issues I had on my plate... I was touched by Noah's determination and loyalty to his one true love... I loved the ROMANCE... The movie was actually quite good, well, that is IF YOU DIDN'T READ THE BOOK!!!

'Til tomorrow you guys...

No comments: