Thursday, December 04, 2008

Chinese Lumpia

So last night, I passed on the gang's sudden KTV night (a.k.a. a night consoling RR) and headed over to Citi Lifestyle to get a well deserved massage... My body was achin' and extremely tired due to a night of finishing that forsaken Christmas tree... Hehehe... That Christamas tree is literally becoming a pain in the ass... I swear!! Since the Christmas lights broke, I had to remove the original lights and replace it with new ones... I had to rework the lights inside the tree, re-attach all the balls that fell, and re-fluff all the ribbons that were hit by my fat hands and those damn lights... I ended up sleeping at 3 am the night before... God!!!

Anyways, last night, after the massage... I had one of my favorite things in the whole wide world!! The Chinese lumpia at DECS!! YUM! I could eat that forever... Mmmmm... The mix of the garlic, the generous amount of the vegetables, the crunch of the sugary seaweed sprinkle was perfect!! JUST PURRRRFECT!!

Also, the savory pastries at DECS are quite a treat as well... The chicken pie, the chicken ala king, the asado roll, and the tuna pie are a few of my faves... I also used to swear on their sugar-free drinks when I was on diet. The almond jelly and the black gulaman are my bets. (I remember having my mom buy me a case of the almond jelly before... Hehe... ) I've been a fan ever since my former good friend made me taste it in Binondo... Just yum!! It simply hits the spot for me... A few of my friends however, found it quite bland and thought it lacked the usual sweeteness of the two signature drinks. Hehe... I guess it's all subjective really... Hehe...

Anwyays, if I remember correctly, the Chinese Lumpia became "loud" and appealing to most of Manila's population about 3-4 years ago... The same time the Weekend Organic Market at Salcedo became the newest and trendiest "grocery" in the metro... The chinese lumpia, from my own personal observation, went hand in hand with the organic market because it was offered in at least 3 of the weekend stalls there. It was also the only place in Makati where you could have ordered/purchased it... I used to have fond memories of my former good friend picking me up at my old home and heading over there to meet up with one of our friends who lived right across the market and we'd all have brunch and do the usual catch-up. It was the highlight of a few of my weeks, circa 2005... Hehehe...

Anywhoo, enough reminiscin'...

Aside from DECs, my other favorite brand of Chinese Lumpia is Yin Yang. They have small stalls scattered everywhere around the malls/groceries. I usually frequent the one in Shopwise while I'm shopping for my week supply of groceries... It's actually one of the many blissful moments that I personally savor and cherish... Hehehe...

Walking around shopwise with one hand pushing the cart, while the other holding the lumpia and biting into it and have the sweet lumpia sauce ooze out... YUUMMM...

Am officially hungry!!

No comments: